Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Rain

It was the sound I’ve been longing to hear the whole day—the dismissal bell. No matter how annoyingly unpleasant it was to the ear, I was glad to finally hear it. I couldn’t wait to get home and work on my piled-up projects as early as possible in attempt to catch up with my sleep. I’ve been given the chance to make up for my low grades and that meant extra work for me. Hurrying down the staircase and rushing to know where my carpool is, I brought out my cell phone, unconscious that I was still in the premises of getting caught if seen with it. I reached the end of the stairs and looking up after finishing my text message, I saw a teacher approaching me. At that moment, I was struck with the realization that I couldn’t do anything, being caught red-handed. I was never used to lying, which meant making up an excuse to get out of this one failed as my option. I had no choice but to surrender my phone and give my name. Just my luck. My aspiration of making my third year in high school as a year to compensate for the previous years I didn’t take seriously has vanished. This one’s definitely going to show up in my college applications. You’d think that it’s the most dreadful thing, given that I was never even known for breaking the law no matter how academically-challenged I am.

Now I’m left with no phone and I had no choice but to look for the carpool in the parking lot. I went to the slot where the car usually parked. The car was no longer there. The carpool driver usually leaves the student if she takes too long to get to the car. I took so long talking to the teacher and now it left me. What wonderful luck I must be having today! Now I’m forced to take a taxi alone—something I’ve never done on my own. But what else could I do? It would take me 3 more hours to wait until someone is available to pick me up. I couldn’t afford to waste time waiting and doing nothing in school, so I went out of the school gate and asked the guard to help me get a taxi. Finally, I was on my way home. Alone, but finally on the way home.

I arrived home. I locked myself in my room and for a while savored its comfort, having gone through a stressful day. I was hoping things wouldn’t get any worse. But it did. A few minutes later, I heard someone knocking hard on my door. I opened it and saw my mom looking at me with a hand on her waist.
“Kelsie, you left some chores undone. And how come you’re slacking in your room? I told you I needed you to cook for me. I’m having guests tonight,” she said impatiently.
“Sorry, mom. I was in a hurry to go to school awhile ago. And I wasn’t slacking; I was just resting because I just got home. Mom, can’t the maid cook instead of me? I have a lot of school work to do.” I replied.
“The maid you’re talking about is on leave because her father’s ill. Stop complaining. I’m having important guests. It’s not my fault you’re cramming everything tonight. Now, get up and start cooking! And clean up your room. What a shame that you don’t know how to clean up after yourself!,” She demanded.


Before I could even talk back, she slammed the door close. I felt so furious. My mom always does this to me! Nothing about me matters to her. I can only count the few number of times she actually tried to listen to me. Thoughts came and tears of anger began to run down my cheeks. If only she knew what I had to go through today! I don’t even think she would care even if she knew about it. I got so mad and I instinctively thought of getting away from her as far as possible. I thought of running to the park that was two blocks away from our house. It was my place of solace in times like this. I decided to put aside all my work for a while since I wouldn’t be able to concentrate being in this heavy disposition. I snuck out of the house and went on my way to the park. I observed the dusky sky that was covered with heavy clouds. Raindrops started to fall but I thought of continuing on since I was halfway there. When I reached the park, I sat down under this big tree that served as a shed just as it started to rain hard. I was getting a bit wet but the anger I felt overpowered my fear of getting cold and sick.

I stayed there and watched as the water washed everything around me. I saw the smaller trees around the park, the bushes with flowers on them getting soaked. I saw the puddles on the streets and the cars being washed completely by the rain. I saw the grass around me getting drenched. I watched as the soil beneath it got soaked until it became a marshy piece of land to walk on. I observed that part of the neighborhood the whole twenty minutes that it rained. As the rain went down, my anger started to subside. Soon after, the pouring of the rain slowly ceased. The small window of the sunlight that was left of the afternoon shone, a sign that it will temporarily stop raining until minutes later. At this moment, I suddenly felt a lot lighter. The sunlight shone on the streets that had slightly been cleansed of dust or dirt that covered it before it rained. The light also shone on the trees, grass, bushes, and flowers around me. Minutes ago, they were dripping with rainwater. Now, they were covered with afternoon sunlight. At some point, it reminded me of our biology lesson on photosynthesis. What a silly thing to think of at a time like this! But really, we know for sure that plants can’t live on sunlight alone. It needs to experience the fall of rain, or else it would dry up. How wonderful! Rain helps them grow!

I snapped out of my thoughts when the sound of a car suddenly passed by in front of the park. I looked again at the sky, and it seemed like it was going to rain again soon. With that deduction, I decided to finally go back home. I was feeling a lot better.

Minutes later, I was back home. I went straight to the kitchen and started to cook. My mom got there and saw me.

“Were you out? Why would you go out on an uncertain day like this? You were out while it was raining.” She said.
I paused cooking and took a second to look outside the window. It was raining again. I couldn’t help but smile. And suddenly, I told my mom, “Yes, I did. And the rain wasn’t all bad.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home